Thursday, July 5, 2012

Quality and Quantity of Item Drops

Items, how do they work?

I've seen a lot of talk about poor quality of items, bad rolls, lack of drops. Figured I could post about this first as it's quick and easy, and the other feedback posts will take me a very long time to complete.

Yes. This is Diablo. This is one thing I am exceedingly happy about with the game outside of how absurdly rare the legendaries are. Not to get off on a tangent, but the entire point of setting up set items the way they are (recipes) is that you can actually have a full set at the relevant level.

After 400 hours played, four classes in inferno, I have yet to see a single set item or set item recipe drop. I think the point is being missed here.

But as far as item rarity and quantity go, we have no (valid) complaints. Gear drops in higher quantities in Diablo III and there's less junk modifiers. We are rolling more items, but they aren't as good as what we'd generally find in D2.

I don't see this as a problem. The only problem I see is fans who are playing a lot and getting frustrated that the game really is random. It's supposed to be. It's working as intended.

However!
Much like in business, a game developer has to keep in mind the concept of risk versus reward. Prior to the durability cost change, I would say this was fairly even. I don't consider combat rewarding against elites. I consider it monotonous. So now also increase durability cost, and there's extremely little reward for playing due to how the items and drop system are set up. I think that's something to consider.

Where's the reward in questing outside of progression? Where's the reward in events? There isn't any.

People are complaining about lack of drops, and lack of good-rolling items.

1. ilvl 61+ items are dropping. You're just ignoring the white and gray ones. You'd be surprised how many gray archon items you are overlooking. It's not what you want, but stop saying that those level of items aren't dropping for you.

2. You're not complaining that you can't roll a good item. You're complaining that a good item can't be rolled. This is because the affixes are boring and mostly worthless.

No comments:

Post a Comment